The U.S. Department of Defense’s Office of Economic Adjustment (OEA) is offering a federal funding opportunity (FFO) to assist communities impacted by cuts in DoD spending.
The FFO, published in the latest Federal Register Notice, says applicants can seek funding from the DoD OEA for economic diversification and community planning assistance as a response to cancellations or reductions in DoD spending.
Applications will be evaluated by OEA in coordination with Commerce and other federal agencies invited by the OEA. Approved respondents will then be invited to complete a full e-grant application.
The grant will cover 90 percent of the cost of the project, with the applicant required to come up with the remaining 10 percent as a local match from non-federal funding sources.
Eligibility criteria for this FFO include a publicly announced DoD spending cutback which has resulted in a loss of at least:-
2,500 direct jobs within a metropolitan statistical area;
1,000 direct jobs in a labor market outside of an MSA; or
One percent of the total civilian jobs in the local labor market.
States, counties, municipalities and other sub-divisions of state and local government can apply, but only one governmental entity in each region will be awarded funding, so an application will likely require a significant level of cooperation between state and regional agencies.
The FFO notice also lists the activities this funding can be used for, including:-
Staffing and administrative costs of outreach to workers, businesses and community interests;
Mapping regional supply chains for defense-related industry clusters;
Collection and analysis of economic data for identifying regional advantages;
Preparation of diversification plans that will reduce dependency on defense spending;
Projects that facilitate workforce training and adjustment;
Plans for reusing and development of existing defense facilities;
The OEA, which was established in 1961, is DoD‚Äôs main field organization supporting local and state governments‚Äô response to defense program changes. OEA is based in Arlington, Virginia and has a regional office in Sacramento, California.
OEA has assisted communities in all fifty states in developing strategies for adjusting to base closures, realignments, defense cutbacks and incompatibilities between local development and military operations.
Read the full DoD OEA FFO ‚Äì Download (pdf)