In his 2014 State of the State Address, New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo outlined a 2014 agenda focused on creating jobs, making the state more affordable, expanding successful economic policies, rebuilding infrastructure, and making new investments for improving the quality of education.
Highlights from New York‚Äôs 2014 agenda:-
- The fourth round of the Regional Economic Development Council (REDC) awards will recognize and reward plans that incorporate global marketing and export strategies. Global NY will be launched by linking START-UP NY to the Regional Economic Development Council initiatives in order to attract jobs and investment to Upstate New York.
- The Governor proposed the establishment of the NY Genomic Medicine Network. This would be a partnership linking the University at Buffalo’s biomedical research expertise and computational infrastructure with the medical community in New York City. This plan aims to position Upstate New York as a hub for genomic medicine research and jobs.
- Governor Cuomo will use existing statutory authority to launch a pilot medical marijuana research program. Up to 20 hospitals will be allowed to provide medical marijuana to patients being treated for serious illnesses.
- Gov. Cuomo proposed modernization for JFK and LaGuardia airports, including a plan for the State to take over management responsibility for airport construction from the Port Authority so that these critical transportation hubs are modernized quickly and efficiently.
- Gov. Cuomo proposed expediting transmission projects through state-owned rights of way to resolve the bottlenecks created by the state‚Äôs antiquated transmission system that is preventing excess Upstate power from entering the Downstate region where demand is high.
- New York‚Äôs $10 billion deficit is poised to turn into a $2 billion budget surplus by 2016-17. Instead of using the surplus for increasing spending, Gov. Cuomo has put forward a proposal to provide $2 billion or more in tax relief for New Yorkers and businesses based on recommendations made by the New York State Tax Relief Commission.
- New York will be hosting the 2014 Global NY Summit on World Trade and Investment for reaching foreign investors and creating a peer learning network among regional and local leaders.
- Also in 2014, Gov. Cuomo will host another round of industry summits that will identify economic growth opportunities. One of these summits will be the Upstate-Downstate Food-to-Table Agriculture Summit.
Full agenda outlined in Gov. Cuomo‚Äôs 2014 State of the State Address ‚Äì Download (pdf)